Holmes deerstalker hat: What You Need
To make Holmes, you will need the following:
- Basic sewing supplies
- About 0.5 metres (0.6 yards) of a suitable fabric (see Holmes Fabric options)
- About 0.5 metres (0.6 yards) of lining fabric (see Holmes Fabric options)
- A rigid material for the visor insert (see Holmes Fabric options)
- (Optional) About 1 metre of 1” (2.5cm) crossgrain ribbon or petersham.
- (Optional) 1 covered button about 3/4” (2cm) - 7/8” (2.2cm)
Depending on style the ties and buttons are optional.
- If you are making Buttonhole Ear Flaps you can omit the ties.
- If you are making Tie Ear Flaps you can omit the button.
- Ties can also be made from fabric if you prefer (see Holmes Cutting)
- You can also use different width and type ribbons for the ties if you prefer.