Lumina leggings: Sewing Instructions
This is a garment made from a stretch fabric. So use appropriate seam solutions. A serger is a good way to do this, as are specific stitches that certain sewing machines provide. A zigzag stitch will do if that’s all you have.
Keep in mind that since these seams are always under tension, it may be a good idea to double them up, or provide a zigzag in addition to serging the seam.
- Sew the two pieces to each other, right sides together, along the top seam.
- Press the seam open
- Sew the back seam, right sides together. This creates a loop.
If you want to include elastic into the waistband, now is a good time to do so. You should add it to the seam you just sewed.
- Sew both leg pieces together along the cross seam.
- Serge the top of the two panels.
- Fold this top over onto itself, and stitch in place. Using a double needle is a good way to do this. Zigzag works too. Make sure that you fold it slightly more than the seam allowance.
- Lay the panel down with the right side down.
- Lay the pocket part on top, right side down, aligning the notches. Pin in place
- Stitch the bottom of the pocket to the panel. Again, a double needle or zigzag works well.
- Align all the front notches of the panel to the front of the leg panel, right sides together. If you included the pocket option, make sure you treat the pocket and panel pieces as one piece.
- Seam this seam on both legs.
- Repeat for the back side of the panel and leg parts
The number and distance of the notches on the front and back seams are different.
- Align the waistband seam with the seam in the back. Align the notches with the panel seams.
- Sew all the way around, attaching the waistband to the legs. Make sure you sew both pieces of the waistband into this seam. This seam will combine three layers, both layers of the waistband, and one layer of the leg pieces.
If you have included the pocket option, take extra care not to sew the folded over part of the panel into the waistband seam.
Now you can add the elastic to the leg openings. Otherwise finish those in any way you like.
You’re all done! Enjoy your Lumina leggings!